Thursday, April 3, 2008

Introduction to Meditation

The moment we hear the word meditation it brings to mind a person sitting cross legged, eyes shut and a serene smile on the face. You assume that this person’s mind is absolutely at peace and no thoughts are bothering him/her at the moment. In fact we tend to assume that no thoughts are arising in this person’s mind and he is free from worldly clamor and connected with a higher power.

You could not be further from truth. Sitting cross legged and shutting the eyes makes most people restless. The mind takes flight, thoughts about the past and the future keep arising and the last thing on the mind is the awareness of the present moment. If you have tried meditating you must be aware of this state of mind.

Most people give up on meditation after a few attempts because they find it tedious to sit down calmly even for five minutes. What is the use, my mind keeps running away. I went thorough these stages till I met my teacher who guided me step by step in the basic meditation technique. He made it so simple that I had no excuse not to meditate. Finally when I could see the results for myself meditating became an inherent part of my daily routine. Gradually I started enjoying those quiet moments with in my mind and life took a new meaning all together.

I would encourage you to join me in this simple yet profound journey of life and be a participant. You will be able to discover and know yourself as you have never done before. I would suggest you to go slow and take it step by step as we progress from simple daily meditation to more intense forms such as Kundalini meditation. I would like you to keep in mind a simple phrase my teacher used over and over again with me each time we sat for a meditation session. “Nothing to achieve nothing to attain”

No comments:

Journey Within

The least explored area by humans is their own self. Self awareness is the first step in knowing what you are all about. Meditation is the first step towards self awareness. The journey ends with life and is as thrilling as any adventure you might have embarked upon. You will discover life as you have never imagined. This is a journey without any baggage from past or the future. It begins and happens right here , right now in this present moment. All eternity exists in this present moment of yours. May you find it now.