Saturday, April 12, 2008

Buddha Sutra on the full awareness of breath.

Lord Buddha Said the following to his disciples on breath awareness:


The method of being fully aware of breathing, if developed and practiced continuously, will have great rewards and bring advantages.
What is the way to develop and practice continuously the method of Full Awareness of breathing so that the practice will be rewarding and offer great benefit?

1. Breathing in I know I am breathing in, Breathing out I know I am breathing out


2. Breathing in a long breath I know I am breathing a long breath. Breathing out a long breath, I know I am breathing out a long breath.

3. Breathing in a short breath, I know I am breathing in a short breath, Breathing out a short breath know I am breathing out a short breath.

4. Breathing in, I am aware of my whole body. Breathing out, I am aware of my whole body.

5. Breathing in, I experience joy. Breathing out, I experience joy.

6. Breathing in, I experience happiness. Breathing out, I experience happiness.

7. Breathing in, I am aware of the feeling [that is present now]. Breathing out, I am aware of the feeling [that is present now].

8. Breathing in, I calm the feeling [that is present now].Breathing out, Breathing in, I calm the feeling [that is present now].

9. Breathing in, I am aware of the activity of the mind [that is present now]. Breathing out, I am aware of the activity of the mind [that is present now].

10. Breathing in I make the activity of the mind happy. Breathing out, I make the activity of the mind happy.

11. Breathing in, I bring right concentration to bear on the activity of the mind. Breathing out, I bring right concentration to bear on the activity of the mind.

12. Breathing in, I liberate the activity of my mind. Breathing out, I liberate the activity of my mind.

13. Breathing in, I observe the impermanence nature of all dharmas. Breathing out, I observe the impermanence nature of all dharmas.

14. Breathing in, I observe the letting go of all dharmas. Breathing out, I observe the letting go of all dharmas.

15. Breathing in, I observe no craving with regard to all dharmas. Breathing out, I observe no craving with regard to all dharmas.

16. Breathing in, I observe the nature of cessation of all dharmas. Breathing out, I observe the nature of cessation of all dharmas.

"Bhikkus, that is the practice of conscious breathing, whose function it is to calm the body and mind, to bring about right mindfulness, looking deeply, and clear and single-minded perception so that the practitioner is in a position to realize all the Dharma doors that lead to the fruit of nirvana."

~ Samyukta Agama, sutra No. 803 translated from the Chinese

I will further discuss how to practice each of the above mindfulness in the following posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Nice post. You gave all different methods in Breathing Meditation

Nice and enjoyable post. Thanks for sharing.
:-)

Journey Within

The least explored area by humans is their own self. Self awareness is the first step in knowing what you are all about. Meditation is the first step towards self awareness. The journey ends with life and is as thrilling as any adventure you might have embarked upon. You will discover life as you have never imagined. This is a journey without any baggage from past or the future. It begins and happens right here , right now in this present moment. All eternity exists in this present moment of yours. May you find it now.